开启左侧

[中英对照]如何追求快乐 专家现身说法

[复制链接]
2584 2
2006年12月11日11:16

金钱能买来快乐,此言的确不虚。但在花钱时还是要当心一些。

带你的父亲去看超级碗橄榄球赛。在离上班不远的地方买房子。结婚。同家人到外面就餐。来一次具有纪念意义的度假,当然还要买些纪念品。

那么这些建议来自哪里呢?我同6位从事“快乐研究”的学者进行了对话,询问了他们在自己的生活中进行了哪些改变。

品味生活。变得更快乐的最大障碍或许就是所谓的“享乐适应”了。的确,当你首次得到提拔或加薪时会非常兴奋。但很快,这种感觉很快就会逐渐减弱,然后又开始追求别的东西。

加州大学圣地亚哥分校管理学教授大卫•施卡德(David Schkade)说,当一件快乐的事情降临时,你可以想方设法将它保留得更长一些。比如,你可以出去吃顿晚饭,庆祝一下哪怕是微不足道的职业成就。同样,在度假时也可以购买纪念品或照些照片,这样你对此次旅行的记忆会更长一些。

施卡德本人就一直是这么做的。他大学四年的学习生活是在德州大学奥斯汀分校度过的。当长角牛队(Longhorns) 1月份赢得玫瑰碗(Rose Bowl)全国冠军时,他买了件T恤衫庆祝这一时刻,这样他就不会很快忘记球队的胜利。

施卡德说,你必须同享乐适应作斗争。小事你也可以庆祝,而不见得非要是了不起的大事。如果你非要把所有庆祝积攒起来,等到结婚或当上副总裁时才享受,那你的庆祝机会就很少了。

躲开交通高峰。研究发现,上下班是人们最痛苦的经历之一。原因在于:尽管人们常常会适应生活中或好或糟的变化,但却难以适应交通,因为你不能确定你会碰上何种交通状况。

英国华威大学(Warwick University)经济学教授安德鲁•奥斯沃德(Andrew Oswald)指出,缺乏控制会给人们带来压力。这让我重新评估我是否应该在上下班路上花那么长时间。几年前,奥斯沃德搬到离办公室更近的地方,将路上的时间从60分钟减少到20分钟。

探望朋友。如果上下班的交通让人们感到很不开心,为什么他们还要接受距家很远的工作,或是购买离工作单位很远的房屋呢?人们凭借他们最初的反应做出判断,一开始,长途往返可能并未让他们感到那么头痛。康奈尔大学经济学教授罗伯特弗兰克(Robert Frank)说,人们没有考虑事情后来会变得如何。

假定你有机会获得一份薪水更高的工作,但却可能因此减少你的社交时间。你的第一感觉可能认为这是一个合理的妥协。但最可能的是,你很快就会认为理应得到更高的工资。

与此同时,你会失去走亲访友的时间,而调查显示这些都是最令人开心的事情。南加州大学经济学教授理查德•伊斯特林(Richard Easterlin)回忆道,早先,我想以牺牲同家人在一起的时间加快研究工作。现在我很少这样做了。对我来说,同家人一起出去吃饭总是令人高兴的经历。

买回记忆。一些人天生就不太容易快乐,一些人则恰恰相反,这种基本性格可能难以改变。

不过,普林斯顿大学经济学教授阿兰•克鲁格(Alan Krueger)说,可以通过认真考虑如何支配你的时间提高快乐水平。从这个角度而言,他建议应尽力“购买难忘的经历”。

比如,克鲁格曾带他的父亲观看2001年的超级碗纽约巨人队同巴尔的摩乌鸦队的比赛。他说,这次比赛给我带来了许多收获。对比赛的期待和比赛本身都令我兴奋不已。我把门票裱在了相框里,这样可以经常让我想起那次经历。不过,他接着说,如果当时巨人队赢了就更好了。

有限的选择机会。有许多选择机会应该是件好事。但实际上,它却能带来烦恼。

简•艾伯特(Jane Ebert)和丹尼尔•吉尔伯特(Daniel Gilbert)曾对此进行过研究。参与者可以选择一幅艺术招贴画带回家。一些人被告知,如果不喜欢这幅招贴画,还可以更换其它的。而一些人则被告知,一旦作出决定后就不能更改。

哈佛大学教授吉尔伯特说,对选择最满意的是那些无法撤销选择的人。但选择可以改变时,人们在内心深处就会产生思想斗争。而当选择无法更改时,人们就容易感到满足。

这种看法促使吉尔伯特开始限制自己的选择机会。他说,我由此认识到我应该向女朋友求婚了。当然,现在她是我的太太了,我感到更快乐了了。

Jonathan Clements

举报 使用道具

回复

评论 2

Timur  曼省名人  发表于 2007-1-23 00:50:48 | 显示全部楼层
YES, MONEY CAN buy happiness. But you have to spend it with care.

Take your dad to the Super Bowl. Buy a home near the office. Get married. Go out to dinner with the family. Take a memorable vacation, and be sure to buy souvenirs.

Where does this advice come from? I talked to half-a-dozen academics who specialize in \'happiness research\' -- and asked what changes they had made in their own lives.

-- Relishing the day. Possibly the biggest obstacle to greater happiness is so-called hedonic adaptation. Sure, you are thrilled when you first get promoted or get a pay raise. But soon enough, the thrill fades and you are lusting after something else.

\'When something good happens, you want to find a way to hold on to it for longer,\' says David Schkade, a management professor at the University of California at San Diego. For instance, you might go out to dinner to celebrate even modest career accomplishments. Similarly, you should purchase souvenirs or take photos when you\'re on vacation, so you remember the trip for longer.

Prof. Schkade tries to follow his own advice. As an undergraduate, he attended the University of Texas at Austin. When the Longhorns won the national championship in January at the Rose Bowl, he bought T-shirts that marked the occasion, so he wouldn\'t quickly forget the team\'s victory.

\'You have to combat adaptation,\' Prof. Schkade says. \'You want to celebrate the small things, not just the big ones. If you save all your celebrations for getting married or becoming vice president, you won\'t celebrate very much.\'

-- Dodging traffic. Studies have found that commuting ranks as one of life\'s least enjoyable activities. The reason: While folks often adapt to changes in their lives, both good and bad, it\'s tough to adapt to commuting, because you can never be sure how much traffic you\'ll hit.

\'Lack of control is what tends to induce stress in human beings,\' notes Andrew Oswald, an economics professor at England\'s Warwick University. \'It made me re-evaluate whether I should be a long-distance commuter.\' A few years ago, Prof. Oswald moved closer to his office, slashing his commuting time from 60 to 20 minutes.

-- Seeing friends. If commuting makes people so unhappy, why do they take jobs or buy homes that will mean a long commute? Folks rely on their initial reaction -- and, at first, the long commute may not seem so bad. \'People don\'t think about how things will play out over time,\' says Cornell University economics professor Robert Frank.

Suppose you have the chance to take a higher-paying job that will leave you with less time for socializing. At first blush, that might strike you as a reasonable trade-off. But in all likelihood, you will quickly take the larger salary for granted.

Meanwhile, you\'ll miss out on seeing friends and family, which surveys suggest are among our happiest times. \'Earlier on, I tended to sacrifice my family time to try and push research ahead,\' recalls Richard Easterlin, an economics professor at the University of Southern California. \'I do that much less now. Going out to dinner with family for me is always an enjoyable experience.\'

-- Buying memories. Some folks are inherently less happy and some more so, and this basic temperament seems to be remarkably enduring.

Nonetheless, you may be able to boost your level of happiness by thinking carefully about how you spend your time, says Princeton University economics professor Alan Krueger. On that score, try \'buying memorable experiences,\' he suggests.

As an example, Prof. Krueger cites taking his father to the 2001 Super Bowl, which pitted the New York Giants against the Baltimore Ravens. \'I got a lot of mileage out of that,\' he says. \'I had the anticipation of the game, as well as the game itself. I framed my ticket, which reminds me of the trip.\' Still, he adds, \'it would have been better had the Giants won.\'

-- Limiting options. Having lots of choice might seem like a good thing. But in fact, it can lead to unhappiness.

Consider a study conducted by professors Jane Ebert and Daniel Gilbert. Participants were allowed to choose an art poster to take home. Some were told that, if they didn\'t like the poster, they could exchange it for another. Others were told their decision was final.

\'Who was happiest with their choice?\' asks Prof. Gilbert of Harvard University. \'Those for whom the choice was irrevocable. When options are open, the mind generates debate. When options are closed, the mind generates satisfaction.\'

This insight spurred Prof. Gilbert to limit his own choices. \'It made me realize that I ought to propose to my girlfriend,\' he says. \'Sure enough, now that she\'s my wife, I\'m happier.\'

Jonathan Clements

举报 使用道具

回复 支持 反对
阿周  游客  发表于 2007-2-1 22:03:13 | 显示全部楼层
金钱不是万能的,但是没有钱是万万不能的!

举报 使用道具

回复 支持 反对
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

关注

粉丝

主题